Peer Tutoring Program
The Student Success Center (SSC) at Marshalltown Community College, Room 406, strives to provide an academic support system for students who need help reaching their goals. Part of those services includes a Peer Tutoring Program.
Tutoring services through the SSC are offered free of charge by Marshalltown Community College students who have successfully completed courses such as computer concepts, mathematics, sciences, business/clerical, foreign languages and more. Subject availability varies by semester.
Tutors are generally scheduled during blocks of time and will work with students in both one-on-one and small-group formats in the SSC a maximum of three hours per week per subject. Sessions are not held the first two weeks of a semester nor during the week of final examinations. Tutors are paid minimum wage and are required to complete paperwork to receive payment for services.
Both prospective tutors and students who want tutoring assistance are required to fill out separate applications. All applications will include instructor input and support before being considered. Students’ grades, class attendance and study habits will also be taken into consideration. If a peer tutor is not available for a particular subject, the student will be informed of other options of academic assistance.
(Tutor schedules will be added and updated each semester)
Apply to be a Peer Tutor
Are you particularly good with certain subjects? Do you enjoy helping others? Are you able to guide and facilitate discussion without giving students the answer, doing the problem for them, or performing the task for them? These are very real skills; and if you possess them, you may enjoy being a peer tutor.
Students interested in helping other students should print the Application for Tutor Position ; and when completely filled out, bring it to the SSC Office Associate. You will be contacted to meet with a SSC representative to review your application.
Apply for Tutoring Assistance
Students requesting tutoring services should print the Application for Tutor Assistance ; and when completely filled out, bring it to the SSC Office Associate. The SSC will attempt to secure a tutor for your subject area(s) during the semester you applied; however, tutor assistance is not guaranteed. Your application will be evaluated, and you will be contacted by an SSC representative.
If you have questions about your application or the process, please contact us.
ALTERNATIVE TUTORING OPTIONS
DISCLAIMER: The following alternatives are not affiliated with nor recommended by MCC or the MCC Student Success Center. MCC accepts no responsibility for the quality or accuracy of information obtained from any tutoring option(s) not affiliated with MCC.
- This program is funded by the Department of Defense MWR Library Program and Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program.
- FREE for Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve members in the Army, Marines, Navy or Air Force and their dependents. Get help from a professional tutor anytime you need it. Tutors are online 24/7 and available to help in more than 16 subjects.
- Tutoring and instructional videos listed by topic or by university/college.
- Students experience online tutoring that is simple, fast and always available. Students connect to live educators from any computer that has Internet access with no special software installation or equipment required.
- Smarthinking provides online tutoring 24 hours a day, 7 days a week enabling students to get the help they need when they need it.
- Live, On-Demand Tutoring
- Students are connected on-demand with an expert educator using an advanced queuing system providing little or no wait time. Students work one-on-one in real-time with a tutor, communicating using a virtual whiteboard technology. Scientific and mathematical notation, symbols, geometric figures, graphing and freehand drawing can be rendered quickly and easily.
- Online Writing Lab
- Students can submit a paragraph or essay for individualized critique by expert writing tutors. Students can receive the help that they need with their writing assignment by completing a simple form that provides the tutor with information on the writing assignment and requested areas of assistance. Students can also request a review by an ESL, Technical Writing or Creative Writing expert when appropriate. Upon completion, students are notified their review is available. Students receive feedback outlining the strengths, areas in need of improvement, and specific guidance to help them improve the quality and content of their writing.
- Submit a Question
- Students who do not need instant feedback can choose to submit an asynchronous question. Students submit their question to a tutor using the virtual whiteboard technology, and the student is notified when their comprehensive response is available.
- Schedule an Appointment
- Students who prefer to plan ahead can schedule a 30-minute appointment with a tutor of their choice. The student and tutor connect live using the virtual whiteboard technology at a scheduled time. All sessions and writing submissions are archived and available for students to review at any time for studying or test preparation.