MCC Residential Philosophy
The aims and purposes of MCC’s Residence Life program complement the stated mission of the Iowa Valley Community College District. To facilitate a varied residence life experience, MCC houses students in apartment style residential complexes with intentional programmatic efforts to encourage residents to experience life with others who are from different backgrounds, interests, and communities.
Thus, the goals of Residence Life and Housing focus on the individual, and their relationship to the community in which they live. To this end, the residence life staff will strive to achieve the following goals:
- To maintain an environment that places high-priority in the pursuit of academic responsibilities.
- To assist students in developing a positive regard for their living areas.
- To encourage self-reliance among residents while recognizing the interdependence of all.
- To promote acceptance and mutual respect among all residents by developing an awareness of one’s individual responsibilities and rights and the rights and responsibilities of others.
- To promote an environment in which students are encouraged to consider and understand their personal values, beliefs and appreciations.
- To provide opportunities through which one is able to develop and practice mature interpersonal relations and social skills.
- To provide opportunities for one to develop and apply leadership skills.
- To acquaint one with the numerous campus and community resources to support a holistic residential experience.