Why a career in nursing?
Nurses are known for their caring and sympathetic nature. They use their nursing skills to assist individuals to regain or maintain their health. Interest and training must be strong in the sciences of anatomy, physiology, chemistry, nutrition, math and psychology.
One of the 10 occupations projected to have the largest numbers of new jobs is nursing, with earnings above average. Employment of Licensed Practical Nurses (PNs) is expected to grow faster than average in long-term care facilities. Job opportunities for Registered Nurses (RNs) are expected to grow rapidly. As the median age of the nurse population continues to rise, thousands of job openings will result. Advancement opportunities are broader with higher degrees.
Iowa Valley Community College district (IVCCD) offers a Practical Nursing diploma program and Associate Degree Nursing (RN) program at Marshalltown Community College and Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls. (Click here for a video highlighting the MCC Nursing program, its students, and faculty!) Both campuses offer ladder programs in which students must first earn their Practical Nursing diploma and the pass the Practical Nursing licensure exam prior to entering the Associate Degree Nursing program. IVCCD Nursing courses cover the areas of medical, surgical, maternal-child, pediatrics, geriatric and mental health nursing at both the PN and ADN levels. Patient care skills are learned in supervised lab setting and in simulated clinical experiences. Students receive clinical experience in a variety of settings such as area hospitals, long term care facilities and mental health facilities as well as a number of specialty clinical experiences.
Why consider Iowa Valley/ECC/MCC?
- Excellent NCLEX licensure exam passage rates. Our ADN students had a 100% board passage rate in 2010, 2011 and 2012, and a 90% passage rate in 2013 (the 2013 national rate was 83.04% and the state rate was 82.25%). Our PN students had a 100% board passage rate in 2011 and 2012, and a 96% passage rate in 2013 (the 2013 national rate was 84.63%and the state rate was 94.46%).
- Marshalltown Community College’s Practical Nursing program starts twice per year, in August and January.
- Ellsworth Community College has a new blended track (combined classroom/clinical and online courses) for its ADN program to better meet the needs of busy/working students.
- Small class sizes allows for one on one attention between you and the instructor.
- Professional faculty who care about student success.
- Program administration and support staff at each campus to assist you with admission, registration, financial aid and general questions.
ECC/MCC Associate Dean of Health Occupations
Ph: 641-844-5731 (MCC) or 641-648-8648 (ECC)
Ellsworth Community College Nursing Program Assistant
Marshalltown Community College Nursing Program Advisor